Thursday, June 9, 2011

IKEA Review: ALVE Laptop Table

$70 | Product Link

Not for kitties
Living in Berkeley has exposed me to the white collar siren calls of Trader Joes and IKEA, their close proximity threatening to undermine the Buy Local street cred I sort of considered adopting when I first moved to Oakland. While stopping into TJs is a regular occurrence I've managed to avoid trekking to IKEA, contentedly eating my dinner directly off the floor and keeping my laptop on my lap. A recent perfect storm of first-world problems forced me to the store:
  1. My Macbook Pro makes my thighs hot and its sharp edges on my wrists make me feel goth
  2. Without a decent place to store the laptop it ends up on the floor where it could get stepped on
  3. The Cat Factor: my cat splays herself on my laptop, jealous for my attention and the source of heat
I decided a full fledged laptop stand would better fit my needs over a pillow or lap stand. At $18, the DAVE was a cheap option with a handy tilting surface but felt incredibly flimsy. I ultimately went with the ALVE laptop table for $70, its sturdier materials and hinged wing design making it more of a value.

Cat Factor


Putting it Together

I first noticed the ALVE's cast iron metal legs and solid wood construction. At 20 pounds - compared to the 8 pound DAVE - this thing isn't falling over without a fight, making me more comfortable about storing my expensive computer inside it. The integral height adjustment ranges 26-31" - I found the 26" minimum height to be too high for my low slung couch but not unusable. Tilt adjustment would ameliorate this but unfortunately is not a feature of the table.

The lack of tilt may be explained by a unique feature: two hinged panels that lie on either side of the main work surface. When opened, they provide an 8x14" surface on either side of the main 17x12" work area. The main area can fit up to a 17" laptop and each panel is large enough for a pad of paper and a mouse pad.

13" Macbook Pro for reference. IKEA states laptops up to 17" are supported.

When closed, the panels enclose the main work area, protecting the laptop and serving as a 21x14" side table. This surface feels pretty strong but sitting on it would probably break it. A slight gap where the panels converge is enough for a liquid to leak down into the laptop compartment so I'd advise against using the table to put drinks on.

Overall, this table pulls great double duty in my living room. Its lack of tilting or rotating adjustments put it behind similar stands but the solid construction and hinged panels give it the edge in function and protection.

Summary

Benefits:
  • Hinged wings double as a side table and (mostly) keep the laptop safe from spills
  • Solid rubberwood construction beats the plastic Dave
  • Sturdy cast iron legs keep it stable
Negatives:
  • Work surface doesn't tilt or rotate
  • Minimum adjustable height may be too high for low slung couches
  • Expensive for its relative lack of versatility
tl;dr: Well built but pricey, this laptop table is better suited for light use in the living room than a serious work space.